Wacom tablets have been a staple in the digital art community for many years. They offer artists the ability to create digital artwork using a stylus and tablet, as opposed to a mouse and keyboard. With their popularity among artists, it’s important to choose the right software to fully utilize the capabilities of a Wacom tablet.
There are various types of software available for Wacom tablets, including Wacom-specific software, Adobe software, and other popular drawing software. Additionally, there are free software options available for those who are on a budget or just starting out. This article will review each of these software options and provide recommendations for the best drawing software for Wacom.
Adobe Software for Wacom
Adobe Photoshop is a professional-level software that offers a wide range of features and capabilities for artists, photographers, and designers. It is a powerful image editing software that offers tools for color correction, retouching, and compositing. With Adobe Photoshop, artists can work with multiple layers, masks, and filters, and the software also includes a variety of brush and pen options for digital drawing and painting.
Pros and Cons
One of the biggest benefits of Adobe Photoshop is its versatility, making it a great option for a wide range of artists and creatives. The software’s extensive feature set also makes it a great choice for more advanced artists who require a more robust option. However, the software can be complex to use, and its cost may be a drawback for some users.
Adobe Illustrator is a vector graphics software that is designed for use in logo design, illustration, and branding. The software offers a variety of tools for creating and editing vector graphics, as well as the ability to add color, patterns, and gradients to your designs. Adobe Illustrator also offers a variety of brush and pen options for digital drawing and painting.
Pros and Cons
Adobe Illustrator is a great choice for artists and designers who require a software that specializes in vector graphics. The software’s extensive feature set makes it a great choice for more advanced artists who require a more robust option. However, the software can be complex to use, and its cost may be a drawback for some users.
Adobe Sketch is a drawing and painting app that is designed for use on the iPad and iPhone. It offers a variety of brush and pen options for digital drawing and painting, as well as the ability to import and export your work to other Adobe software. Adobe Sketch also includes basic editing capabilities and the ability to share your work directly from the app.
Pros and Cons
Adobe Sketch is a great choice for artists and creatives who want a mobile option for their digital art. The app’s compatibility with other Adobe software makes it a great option for those who already use other Adobe products. However, the app’s limited feature set may not be suitable for more advanced artists who require a more robust option.
Other Popular Drawing Software
Corel Painter differentiates itself from other drawing software for Wacom tablets like Photoshop, Illustrator, and SketchBook by offering a unique set of features that simulate traditional art mediums like oil paint, watercolor, charcoal, etc. This makes it a preferred choice for artists who want to create digital art that resembles traditional art styles.
Pros and Cons
Corel Painter offers a rich set of tools for digital artists. The software is great for traditional artists looking to make the transition to digital art, as it provides a familiar interface and tools that mimic traditional art mediums. However, the learning curve for the software can be steep, and the cost may be a barrier for some users.
Clip Studio Paint
Clip Studio Paint is a professional-grade digital art software that offers a wide range of tools for drawing, painting, and comic creation. The software offers a comprehensive set of brushes and tools, including inking, coloring, and shading tools. It also includes advanced features such as vector tools, perspective grids, and layers. Full review➡
Pros and Cons
Clip Studio Paint is a great option for professional artists looking for a comprehensive and powerful digital art software. The software is packed with features and tools, making it a great value for the price. However, the software can have a steep learning curve, and the interface may not be as user-friendly as some other options.
Free Drawing Software for Wacom Tablet
AutoDesk SketchBook is a powerful digital drawing and painting software that provides a smooth and intuitive drawing experience. The software offers a wide range of brushes and tools, as well as a customizable interface that allows artists to set up their workspace to their liking. The software also includes advanced features such as perspective grids, symmetry tools, and layers.
Pros and Cons
AutoDesk SketchBook is a great option for digital artists looking for a streamlined and user-friendly drawing software. The software is also affordable and offers a good value for the price. However, the software may not have all the advanced features that some professional artists require.
Other free drawing software for Wacom tablet
There are several free drawing software options available for Wacom users. Some of the most popular options include GIMP, Krita, and Inkscape.
GIMP is a free image editing software that can be used for digital drawing. It has a wide range of tools and features that make it a good option for artists who are looking for more advanced software.
Krita is another popular free drawing software that is specifically designed for artists. It has a range of brushes and tools that make it a great option for digital painting and drawing.
Inkscape is a free vector graphics software that is well-suited for creating illustrations, logos, and graphics. It has a range of features and tools that make it a good option for artists who want to experiment with different styles and techniques.
How we choose software?
We chose the software in our list based on a thorough evaluation of several factors, including:
- Features: We selected software that offers the right tools and features to meet the needs of both professional artists and beginners.
- User-friendly interface: A key consideration was software that had a well-designed, intuitive interface to enhance the user experience.
- Performance: We looked for software that offered stable, fast, and responsive performance.
- Cost: We took into account the cost of each software and chose options that offered a good balance between features and affordability.
- Community and support: An active user community and reliable support from the developer were important factors in our selection.
- Integration with other tools: If you use other software, it’s important to make sure the drawing software integrates well with your existing workflow.
- Adobe Photoshop: The primary file format for Photoshop is .psd, and it is also compatible with other file formats such as .jpeg, .png, .tiff, etc. Photoshop is known for its robust image editing capabilities, making it a popular choice among graphic designers, photographers, and artists.
- Adobe Illustrator: The primary file format for Illustrator is .ai, and it is also compatible with other file formats such as .pdf, .svg, .png, etc. Illustrator is a vector-based graphics program, making it a popular choice for logo design, icon design, and illustration.
- AutoDesk SketchBook: The primary file format for SketchBook is .skbrushes, and it is compatible with other file formats such as .png, .jpeg, etc. SketchBook is a digital painting and drawing program, making it a popular choice for artists and illustrators who want to create digital art.
By considering these criteria, we were able to select the best software for Wacom tablets and provide a list of the top options for our readers.